Boomea contains a chat mechanism which contains different channels. A private channel is a place where only the creator and specified users can talk to one another. Unlike a public channel, only the users who the creator has placed into the private channel can see it.
When you log into Boomea you will land on the chat application. To create a private channel simply select the “add” or “+” icon next to the words “PRIVATE CHANNELS”.
This will present you with a popup window that contains the fields “Name”, “Purpose”, “Header”. The only required field is the name. Fill these in fields and press “Create New Channel” button at the bottom of this window.
Once the new channel has been created you will have some options to choose from. These options are located on the dropdown arrow next to the channel name in the chat window. These options will only be visible to the user who created the channel.
The options you will be presented with are:
- View Info: This will display a new popup window that give you the direct URL to the channel.
- Add Members. This will display a new popup window where you can select and add new users to the channel.
- Manage Members. This will display a new popup window where you can view all of the group members and remove them.
- Edit Channel Header. This will display a new popup window that allows you to change the header of the channel.
- Edit Channel Purpose. This will display a new popup window that allows you to change the purpose of the channel.
- Rename Channel. This will display a new popup window where you can change the display name of the channel and the URL to reach it.
- Delete Channel. This will delete the channel.
- Leave Channel. This will remove you from the channel.
There are also settings across the top of the page that are selectable or useable. These options are:
- Members Icon. This allows you directly manage members.
- Once a private channel has been created only the creator can manage users.
- Pinned posts Icon. This will open a sidebar window that displays pinned posts.
- Search Bar. Allows you to search for specific things in the chat.
- Recent Mentions. This will open a sidebar window that displays any recent mentions
- Flagged Posts. This will open a sidebar window that displays any flagged posts.
To create a public channel simply select the “add” or “+” icon next to the words “PUBLIC CHANNELS”.
Public channels are created in the same manner and contain the same channel options as private channels. So what is the difference? Any user in your account can join a public channel and in order to join a private channel, you must be added to the channel by the channel creator.